Saturday, June 21, 2008

Today is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, and heralds the beginning of summer.

It is a cold, rainy, grey day in London (but what else?) and I am in the office.

Earlier today, I dropped by Harrods to pick up a dress I had reserved, only to be told that the sales assistant I had spoken to had misinformed me of the store policy and they had put the dress out onto the floor for sale without calling me even though I had specifically asked to be called if they should put it back out. It was a dress I had fallen in love with over the course of the last week given its beautiful colour (my favourite shade of blue), the simplicity of the design and just how awesome it made me look. It was, as stylists like to say, a true investment piece.

And now it's been sold.

It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. I readily admit that were I anyone else, I would be quite amused at how bad I felt when I was informed that the dress had been sold. In fact, I was laughing while relating this whole incident to a friend even though he could see just how much I'd been looking forward to finally picking the dress up.

Yes, I know it's minor and I know there are far worse things happening in the world. Unfortunately, I am also not terribly satisfied with life at this point in time, and little things like that, and popping into Nordic Bakery to buy a cinnamon roll in an attempt to cheer myself up only to be told it was sold out (although I did have a nice chorizo, red pepper and zamorano cheese sandwich at Flat White prior to that) just make today - the day which is supposed to be the beginning of the season I was most looking forward - that much more wretched.

No comments: