Thursday, October 30, 2008

I had the most amazing sensory experiential day today.

On the visual front, there was the visit to Liberty Island in the morning, followed by the American Museum of Natural History where the exhibit on lizards and snakes, as well as the renowned dinosaur bones and fossils just blew me away.

On the tasting front, there was the prix fix set lunch at Jean-Georges, a three-starred restaurant, and, apparently, also a feature on ExxonMobil's travel guide for the US, which was just simply amazing both in terms of the food (the foie gras was incredible, and the chocolate cake was orgasmic) and service.

Lastly, on the audio (and also visual) front, there was Madama Butterfly at the Met Opera House. Anthony Minghella's production was a visual spectacular and Patricia Racette's portrayal of Cio-Cio-San/Butterfly was spot on. More on this some other time, but just wanted to say that while reading the sypnosis just before the show began, I found myself thinking, "Why on earth did I think there was a transverstite involved in this show?" Simple. It's because of M. Butterfly.

This reminds me of when I had a conversation with a friend earlier this week about having been told I should visit FAO Schwarz, the largest toy store in New York. I said, "And while I've heard of the company before, I always thought it was a fund, like Charles Schwab." As it turns out, that same friend thought so too.

Right now, I'm having a really bad sore throat and I'm hoping it's just because I haven't been drinking enough water today, as opposed to what it usually means, which is, I'm about to fall ill. Oh dear.

No comments: