Wednesday, October 29, 2008

GAH! Halloween is this Friday and I haven't the faintest idea what to wear. I was thinking of dressing up as a cat, but the only cat costume I've seen so far is the Kissable Kitty costume from Ricky's near Grand Central Station. Given how cold it was today (amidst the thunderstorms and the incredibly strong winds), I'm not sure I could survive wearing that.

On another note, apparently, it snowed in London today. Snow. In October. What is the world coming to?

Back to what I've been doing in the Big Apple. I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art today, and it is amazing. Not only does it house one of the world's greatest collection of art (I think it's the largest museum in the Western Hemisphere) but everything is so nicely and artistically laid out too. For instance, the Roman Art room reminds me a lot of the Forum in Rome, while the Chinese Art rooms featured a Chinese garden in the middle of all the art. My favourite paintings from the museum were those by Joan Miro, although the bone paintings by Georgia O'Keefe and the pop art paintings by Lichenstein and Warhol were also up there. I very much liked Damien Hirst's incredibly pointless yet really cool 14-foot shark in formaldehyde entitled "The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living". I wish I could have taken a photo of it, particularly the view from the front, but, alas, it was one of the rare pieces which we weren't allowed to photograph.

Tomorrow, I aim to conquer another two museums, namely, the Museum of Modern Art (Van Gogh's Starry Night!) and the American Museum of Natural History. That is, if my feet are still up to it. My calves are aching! I don't know if I've been walking a lot or if it's something else all together!

No comments: