Wednesday, February 11, 2009

After my recent post on vintage goodness, I managed to catch the For Those Who Think Young, the first episode of Season 2 of Mad Men, on BBC iPlayer. If you haven't been privy to all the hype about drama, it centres around Sterling Cooper, an advertising agency in New York City, in the 1950s, and displays the changing social landscape in the US in the 1960s. It's been praised for its historical accuracy and visual style and won an Emmy for outstanding drama series.

For my part, I was surprised to see the sheer amount of cigarette smoking that took place, and indoors too! I was particularly thrilled by the vintage dresses the women were wearing, not to mention a TV show of Jackie Kennedy showing off the White House that was broadcast as part of this episode. I also liked Anne Dudek's acting (she plays Francine Hanson, Betty Draper's good friend). I don't watch House that much where she apparently did a great job as Amber two seasons ago, but the short scene in which she appears on this episode of Mad Men is very entertaining to watch.

Damn all these shows on TV on demand. It's just feeding my need for fashion fixes!

No comments: