Friday, June 26, 2009

So, fifth date with CG and I've finally found out his surname. It's all been a bit Before Sunrise-esque prior to that, with both of us chatting about anything and everything, yet not giving away enough information about ourselves for either one of us to really be able to figure out anything really personal and meaningful about the other person. In fact, I might be being a little too generous in calling them 'dates' but as the times we've met up have involved two people meeting up to hang out, I figure it's just easier to refer to them as that.

Anyway, it was his turn to select a movie, and I've got to say his choice was far better than the ones I went for. Of course, one couldn't ever go wrong with North by Northwest, which has got to be one of the best movies I've ever watched, if not the best. It may have been made 50 years ago, and parts of it do look a little dated, but the dialogue, acting and overall plot are incredible.

Without giving too much away, Roger Thornhill, as played by Cary Grant, is the original Mad Man, and it's no wonder he survives getting a bottle of bourbon poured down him and is still capable of driving a car round the twists and turns of a mountain ride. In fact, that scene - with Grant's hilarious expressions - is one of the best in the show.

And right on the heels of this is this great exchange Roger has with his mother over the phone, when he calls her from the police station after he's been arrested on suspicion of drunk driving.

Roger: No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser.

I don't want to give any more away, but if you haven't managed to watch this film yet, then, run, don't walk, to your nearest DVD store and buy it now!

No comments: