Thursday, September 03, 2009

I have come down with a cold. At first, I thought it was an allergy to Singapore (okay, fine lah, just dust) but, as it turns out, it's a full-blown cold. Damn.

In any case, in an effort to strike fear into the hearts of my countrymen, I decided to proceed with meeting an old friend for lunch, while sneezing all the way.

It's always nice meeting up with old friends - in this case, my first boyfriend - and it was good to feel that we could finally talk once and for all, after not having properly talked as friends for so long. I don't mean that we've had a hostile or even unfriendly relationship prior to today. It's just that we haven't really kept in touch until fairly recently, when I wrote to him after all the events that happened at the beginning of this year, and we just ended up being a little more open than we'd been previously. And, seeing as I've moved into a different industry - an industry in which he has more expertise compared to what I was doing before - we can even talk shop now. Sort of!

In any case, after an hour of just chatting, I finally just looked him in the eye and said, "Thanks for the note you wrote earlier this year. It really meant a lot." And he, in typical gentlemanly fashion, dismissed it as just being one of those things a friend ought to do. This was followed by a question on what my plans were - to remain in London for the long-term, to return there for a few years and then come back to Singapore, or if it was still unknown.

I'll admit I'm really not the best when it comes to picking up signals (I'm either woefully blur or read way too much into things) but the timing of the question caught me off-guard just a little bit. I wondered, for a brief moment, whether it was actually possible that the deeper question was a question into whether the idea of 'us' was something to be revisited.

I dismissed it, almost instantly. We've both changed drastically and all that we had that brought us together all those years ago is just that - in the past.

Still, he and MD were the only two people I'd ever envisioned the whole white picket fence, backyard porch swing and 2.4 children concept with.

A couple of hours later, I walked past Tangs on Orchard Road and caught Michael Learns to Rock performing Sleeping Child in the store's display windows. I guess today's just a day for memories of those carefree days of yore.

No comments: