Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I've been going out quite a bit lately and meeting loads of new people. Mind you, maybe only every one in five people seems to respond to my e-mails, but, hey, the point is, I am getting out there and meeting people. I finally feel as if the person I was back in Singapore - the one whom everyone thought wouldn't have a problem moving to London and getting to know people - is back. And if you had asked me whether I thought this was possible earlier in the year, I would have thought it highly unlikely.

And I guess that I should really give myself some more credit. I mean, I stuck it out here when I know that more than a few people in my position would have headed home. I mean, losing your job and then getting dumped out of the blue by someone you were madly in love with? I'm fairly certain no one would have blamed me had I decided to pack it in and head home to my beloved friends and family.

But I didn't. To be honest, the thought never even crossed my mind. And I think I'll just take a few moments to acknowledge that what I did took a certain amount of courage and gumption, and that I am, in fact, one tough cookie, even if I didn't feel like that at all earlier this year.

And I'm still getting out there and trying to meet fun and interesting people... and I have! Mind you, it's not as if I emerged from the relationship with MD entirely unscathed. The sheer idea of getting into another relationship still sometimes sends me into a complete panic, something which isn't entirely great given my age. I'm sorry, but giving another person the ability to hurt you in ways you didn't think possible? It's just not something I'm willing to even consider at this point in time.

But, the point is, I'm back. I may not be entirely happy with life - I guess I never will be as I'm one of those people who's designed to be mildly discontented with everything - but I sure am doing my best to enjoy it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's wonderful to hear!! GOod on you girl!! :)

Unknown said...

Aw, thanks, Yvonne!

My newfound resolve is being sorely tested tonight. I'm all dressed up and I'm still hesitant to go out on this fine Halloween night as I'll be all by myself. Ah well, this gin and tonic should help. ;)