Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top 20 Songs of 2010 - 11 to 20

Right, here's my maiden venture into the world of music blogging. Not that I'm planning to become a music blogger - unless you count the gig reviews and songs I love posts - but I just thought it'd be fun to try writing about the songs that have made my year. I realise it's a strange mix of pop, alternative and dance, and that there are some real cheesy selections amidst the genuinely great stand-out tunes that were released this year. However, as music is subjective, this really is a list of my top 20 songs of the year.

Let's start with numbers 20 to 11.

20. Phosphorescent - Los Angeles - Glum, boozy, bluesy, intense... a great rock song.



19. Summer Camp - Round The World - All right, this is probably the twee-est song of this list. The way Jeremy Warmsley and Elizabeth Sankey's voices just intertwine with each other in this great dream-pop tune makes for a fantastic climax.



18. Magnetic Man - Perfect Stranger featuring Katy B - Katy B's amazing vocals (which are reminiscent of Cassandra in Rui da Silva - Touch Me) go oh-so-well with Skream, Benga and Artwork's production. This may be dubstep, but it's also got elements of uplifting rave as well. And for another take on this song, check out Benga's awesome remix.



17. She & Him - In The Sun - An incredibly chirpy '60s-esque tune. I love it. I really do. It's such a perfect pop (in the indie sense, now) song.



16. Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are - Yes, this is cheesy and clichéd to the max. But it's soulful, it's smooth and it's touchingly innocent.



15. Scissor Sisters - Invisible Light - It's got such an irresistible beat. And it's produced by the genius that is Stuart Price! And if that wasn't enough, it's narrated by Sir Ian McKellan! Warning though... the video is NSFW!



14. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream - It's just the quintessential pop song. It's incredibly catchy and oh-so-sing-along-able. And, fine, what propelled this into my top songs of 2010 is the cover by Darren Criss and the Dalton Academy Warblers as shown on Glee. In fact, I think the Glee version surpasses the original!



13. Taio Cruz - Dynamite - There has got to be a song every year which captures the spirit of just pure partying. This year, Dynamite is that song. It evokes the memory of DJ Otzi - Hey Baby, which, I'm not ashamed to admit, was one of my favourite party tunes during my university days.



12. Caribou - Odessa - I'm not sure what genre you'd call this (psychedelic shoegazing?) but, whatever it is, Odessa has undoubtedly got one of the best basslines of the year. You'd never guess from Dan Snaith's menacing mumbles that this song's about a break-up.



11. Hot Chip - Take It In - Take It In starts out with dark - almost gothic - thumping beats and then suddenly sucker punches you, soaring off to become one of the most uplifting tunes you'll ever hear.



I'll follow up with numbers 10 through to 1 in the next post.

No comments: