Sunday, April 17, 2011

Five Little Known Facts About Me

I think by now you'll have figured out that I think too much. I tend to analyse things to death, trying to find root causes and figure out ways to prevent/recreate situations, depending on the desired outcome. Then, there are the times I'm sick of thinking, and just resolutely ignore every single sign because I figure that I'm just reading too much into things, seeing things which aren't there and hearing things which haven't been said.

It would be nice if there was a happy medium, but, most of the time, I'm doing one or the other.

So what other little-known facts about me should the general public know?
  1. I don't like being called by the more common short version of my real name. This one, I know, will surprise a lot of friends because not many people know this at all, and they've been calling me that my whole life. I'm okay with old friends doing it as I know they won't be able to change now, but I'd rather new people I meet call me by my full name, or even by the other part of my name, as that's the sound that I like the best. I just don't like the more common form because it makes my name sound like a boy's, and, if anyone's met me, or even heard me on the phone, they soon realise I'm very female. Since I moved to London, it's only English people who use the short form, while everyone else uses my full name, so it's been mostly good so far.
  2. I am cursed with the inability to distinguish between many things, including gay men from straight men, trannies from large women, dates from not-dates, back pain caused by bad posture as opposed to a stomach-ache, and hunger vs. ab-ache. The first two, as you can imagine, aren't great. The rest, I can cope with.
  3. I really hate lime green. I once told someone I couldn't look at him while talking to him because he was wearing a sweater of that colour. 
  4. I really like dresses, and sexy ones at that, but, as a teenager, I used to go around in jeans and a lumberjack shirt, impressive given this was swelteringly hot Singapore, because I was too shy to wear spaghetti strap tops, even when all my friends were doing it.
  5. A trip to the hair salon has a strange effect on me.  When I was a kid, my parents noticed that every time I had my hair cut, I would be a little naughtier. It was usually a response to the fact that I didn't like my hair being cut. I'd talk back a bit more after, or get into fights with my brother. As an adult, that hasn't changed. Every time I go to the salon, I feel sassier and just that bit wilder after. Hell, sometimes I feel downright invincible. I wish I could bottle that feeling for special occasions, as that feeling is definitely not something I get even 15% of the time.

No comments: