Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Leopold Buildings

I don't know why, but there's just something about the Leopold Buildings on Columbia Road that always grabs me. It's become my favourite building in London. I'm not too sure why.

Maybe it's because it's located in a part of London I love. Maybe it's because I love the architectural style, or the fact that I just love balconies.

Built in 1872 and restored in 1997 in conjunction with English Heritage
Perhaps it's because it wasn't meant to be anything special. I mean, yes, obviously, the owners wanted it to look spectacular, but it's just that the Leopold Buildings weren't intended to serve any official function, unlike the other buildings in London I love, like the Natural History Museum, Tower Bridge and Westminster Abbey. It was just meant to be.

Located near Hackney Road
 

Perhaps it's because it reminds me so much of the Victorian brownstone buildings in Brooklyn Heights. Maybe it's because it reminds me of the morning I spent walking there, taking photos of all the quaint houses, marvelling at the Halloween decorations before making my way to the Promenade before crossing the Brooklyn Bridge where I ended up taking one of my favourite photos - that of a couple walking hand-in-hand underneath the gorgeous metal arches.

For any and all of these reasons, seeing this building just fills me with happiness. It's such a simple yet beautiful little structure. And I'd love to get the opportunity to visit a flat there, even if I can't quite afford to live there just yet.

No comments: