Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hedgehog Days

Is there such a term as a hedgehog day? You know, the kind of day when all you want to do is not talk to anyone, and just stay home or just deal with the familiar. Why 'hedgehog'? Because hedgehogs look cute and adorable, but there are times when they curl up with all the spines on the outside (or so I imagine, or this metaphor won't work).

Anyway, if it's not a term, it ought to be.

'Cos this week has been a hedgehog week.

I've had a great time and all in Buenos Aires and D.C., but, ever since coming back to reality, and realising everything I've to do... well, that part I expected to have to deal with, so it's not really the stress of the wedding, the sheer amount of household chores I have before I leave London again, or even the fact that I have to deal with a fair amount of admin even before I start my new job.

No, it's more to do with the fact that I kind of want to take a dating hiatus for the summer. I've had a few people ask me out over the past few week, with one rather interesting prospect cropping up earlier this week alone, and, who also suggested that, given I didn't want to stay out late the night we met, he could get acquainted with my flat. Ahem.

The thing is, despite the fact that I've told them that I really don't have the time to go out before my trip, they keep asking.

I suppose, on the one hand, I should like that they're so keen. On the other hand, I really don't like to turn them down and constantly apologise for the fact that I simply don't have the time.

To be honest, dating is incredibly low on my list of priorities at the moment.

Making sure my flat and all other issues are in order, my friends' wedding and making sure everything's in place for my first day of work in a completely different country are all above that right now.

I know those men don't know this, so they shouldn't be blamed for their persistence. And I am not the kind of person who's all that open with others whom I haven't known for long. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel a little resentful right now that they just keep asking despite my repeated explanation that I simply don't have the time (although I've been careful to add that I really am not fobbing them off).

Ironically, the guy that's winning out at the moment is the one who hasn't been asking. And why hasn't he been asking? Because we agreed to meet up once we both get back from our summer travels, and we're conversing via e-mail until then. No pressure, no stress!

I realise this is a terrible thing to be complaining about, but it is causing me some stress, and I really need to get this off my chest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my girlfriend and her mother used to refer to PMS times a "hedgehog Days"