Saturday, August 03, 2013

Most decidedly not the bee’s knees

This week just past has been one of the worst weeks I’ve had so far this year. It’s not because it’s been a terrible week. It’s mostly been because my knee injury has flared up again. After several weeks (29!) of yoga, dance and power plates classes, and ten osteopath visits, I had been rather optimistic that I’d managed to tackle whatever it was that caused my knees to hurt in the first place (tight hips, poor posture, tight IT bands, whatever).

Instead, I did something rather innocuous – closing a sticky window which became unstuck as I placed my weight on it, causing me to land and jar my knee – and have been suffering ever since.

Of course, it could be the fact that I tried to work through the pain – one yoga class, power plate, an intermediate zouk class, a west coast swing party and a bouncy castle (the last three with a knee brace for support and protection) – that may have exacerbated it, but I did have my reasons for going through with these, all mainly along the lines of “my knee didn’t feel that bad”.

Following the bouncy castle (it was a life-size replica of Stonehenge, what else would you have done?), I guess my knee just gave up. I visited my osteopath in the hopes that he could help to accelerate the recovery time, but he then said that he’d suspected I had a torn meniscus, and had had it for some time, which would explain the general pattern of knee pain (in that I would get better, then worse, then better, then worse and so on).

I’ll admit that I started suspecting that myself, given which parts of my knee were hurting.

So, now, I haven’t done anything since Sunday, other than walk. And there hasn’t been a single day when I haven’t felt as if I had anywhere close to full mobility.

The timing of this injury has been particularly frustrating. I’ve got a west coast swing dance weekend next weekend which I still plan to go to (not just because it’s non-refundable). I’d booked it a while ago once I felt I had the confidence to try something a little more intense than just a weekly class, so you can tell that this is something I’d been looking forward to. I will be wearing a knee brace, of course.

Meanwhile, I’m hoping to get to see an orthopaedic surgeon this week. Hopefully, he’ll send me to get MRIs on both knees (my other knee has been experiencing a fair amount of pain too, and I’m not convinced it’s not just due to having to compensate for my injured knee) and I’ll know once and for all what’s causing these injuries.

Until then… fingers crossed!

No comments: