Saturday, November 23, 2002

I've often been wondering what is it about London that made my life seem much more interesting than it is now, and while talking to my mother earlier today, I realised what it was.

When I was staying in the university dorm last year, all the people I was staying with were around the same age as me, and more importantly, all 'strangers' to the city in which we would be spending the next year of our lives. Due to this great opportunity to experience the wonders of student life amongst such fun people, I guess that's why last year just seemed much more entertaining. When we weren't sitting around the communal television watching sports or a DVD that had been rented, we'd just be sitting around drinking, talking about our lives - about what we had been doing during the week, about how life was like back home, about our opinions of how life should be for these other people, about the countries we wanted to visit and what we wanted to do with our lives.

While there is a lot more to do in London - and a great deal more to explore in the UK - I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't so much the great variety of activities available that made life so appealing... more like the variety of people that you got to meet. Every single one of us was different and we were all young and open-minded enough to want to learn about one another.

I guess that's why I don't like my home as much as I used to... though it's a cosmopolitan city by the standards of the region, it doesn't quite match London or New York...

No comments: