Sunday, August 03, 2003

According to Jason Rentfrow and Sam Gosling of the University of Texas in their study The Do-Re-Mi's of Personality - What your music tastes say about you , you are what you hear. Apparently, your musical tastes can say a lot about your personal. For instance, those who enjoy listening to pop music tend to be more on the cheerful and confident side but usually have more conservative views. Heavy metal lovers tend to be inquisitive risk takers who are intelligent and physically active.

Natually, I was intrigued. I mean, I'm an avid music lover and I'm fond of many many different kinds of music, so could that sort of 'test' be accurate about a person like me? So I tried out the two psychologists' musical personality test just to see what it would say. And here are the results.

Are they accurate? Not quite. Especially not the part about reflection and complexity of an individual. According to them, because I'm not into classical, bluegrass and folk music, I'm not a deep person. Au contraire, I have had a lot of people telling me that I think far too much. Plus, I did study Philosophy. So chew on that, if you will. The rest are somewhat accurate, but then, with all personality tests, they're vague enough to be partially correct all of the time.

And while I do judge a person by the kind of music they enjoy listening to, I don't use it as a barometer of their personalities. Still, it was an interesting hypothesis.

No comments: