Thursday, December 23, 2004

I had my long-overdue performance review with my boss yesterday night. She said that I should show more enthusiasm and volunteer to take on more work. Other than that, I've been doing quite well.

I've worked late the last three days of the week. Bear in mind that this is traditionally supposed to be the slow work season, seeing as it's the festive season. And over lunch yesterday, she informed what's left of the department that not only will work not be getting any easier next year, but that we'll also be taking on additional responsibilities. Then she added that she's not sure our pay is commensurate with the amount of work we've got to do.

Given that my hourly wage is only twice that I got while working as a temp in my pre-A-Level qualification days, well, duh.

I've said it before, but now I'm putting it down in writing. If I am still in this job this time next year, I will be mightily surprised. There's so many other things I want to do, like a Masters, and work overseas while I've still got the energy to. I'm very certain I'm close to burning out.

And if indeed, I am still here, then I must have received an unexpectedly big bonus and a promotion to boot, and I know for sure that neither of those is in the works.

Can it really be just two days to Christmas?

No comments: