Sunday, September 28, 2008

I have finally twigged as to why I dislike Dan in Gossip Girl  - even though I'll concede his holding a torch for a beautiful girl whom he's been admiring from afar for two years is still rather sweet - and why I think Serena turning the whole school against him, as it would appear in Ep 2.04 The Ex-Files, is justified... or at the very least, well-deserved.

It's because I went out with someone similar with him a couple of years ago. Someone who was a pretty nice guy - witty, helpful, resourceful - but, at the same time, just a little too toxic when it comes to relationships. I don't know why I let myself go out with a guy who, after the initial honeymoon period which was just way too short, pretty much constantly put me down, belittling my opinions and dreams. I got myself out of it after a few weeks, but I don't know why I put up with it for the short time that I did. I still can't stand him even though it's been almost two years.

And, to my mind, Dan is exactly that kind of guy. And I've been waiting for that kind of guy to get his comeuppance for quite a while now.

No comments: