Sunday, July 26, 2009

About a month ago, CG brought me to see possibly the best movie ever made. In return, I got us tickets to see the best worst movie ever made aka Tommy Wiseau's The Room.

I didn't quite think the movie would live up to all the hype (I've been through the full-on Rocky Horror Picture Show experience after all) but it did. So just why is it one of the best worst movies ever? Well, aside from the main character's strange Austrian-Croat accent which is never explained and which results in all of his lines being delivered in an absurd manner, the script is terrible, the cameraman worse, and the music so over-the-top cheesy that you're not quite sure whether the movie, originally billed as a drama, is taking itself seriously. This, fortunately or not, is cleared up the moment you see the director (also the scriptwriter, producer and main star of the movie, which is always a good sign) being interviewed.

My favourite part of the movie:
Mark: How was work today?
Johnny: Oh pretty good. We got a new client... at the bank. We make a lot of money.
Mark: What client?
Johnny: I can not tell you, it's confidential.
Mark: Oh come on. Why not?
Johnny: No I can't. Anyway, how is your sex life?

Talk about non sequiturs. I'm really going to have to restrain myself from using that next time I talk to friends about work!

Fortunately for me, CG enjoyed the show, and - oh glorious day! - even suggested a repeat viewing once the rest of London had gotten into this as well. And I'm sure they will. We saw Charlie Brooker at our screening, and with another four screenings planned for the rest of the year at the Prince Charles Cinema and the Barbican, I'm sure the next time I see it, there'll be plenty of spoon-tossing.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go see the movie. Then you'll know. And you'll be back for more too.

No comments: