Sunday, February 21, 2010

Finally got to see Depeche Mode last night. I'd been waiting well over a year for that concert, as this was the rescheduled date following Dave Gahan's surgery which resulted in the concert being postponed from May 30th 2009 to February 20th 2010.

And, man, was it worth it.

Dave Gahan, undisputed owner of the sexiest male singing voice in the universe, did not disappoint. He seemed to be very much enjoying himself, and his dancing, his dancing! Whoa, mama. If this had been any other guy, I'd probably have considered his dancing to be a little on the effete side, but when Dave did it, it was certainly rather sexy. And, man, can he spin. I can't even do a quadruple spin without getting dizzy, and he did it effortlessly, and, not just once, but several times!

I'm sorry to say I probably only recognised half of the setlist; I'm not a big fan of DM in the same way I love U2, Snow Patrol, Coldplay or even the Guillemots, but DM's been top of the list of the bands I've been wanting to see since, well, I was re-introduced to the band's work via James Zabiela when he dropped Enjoy the Silence at a gig in Zouk in 2005.

But when I did recognise the songs, I went mental, including Walking in My Shows, Precious, and, of course, the last three songs of the set: I Feel You, Enjoy the Silence and Never Let Me Down Again. I particularly loved Enjoy the Silence. To me, that's the song which defines Depeche Mode, and, I guess it's also because it's just so incredibly clubby.

I also loved that Martin Gore had such a great voice. Call me crazy, but I'd never realised that there was someone else in the band who sang as well. I mean, f***, I didn't even know Martin's behind most of the lyrics and melodies of Depeche Mode! Martin's tenor went very well with Dave's baritone, I have to say (well, duh). Martin sang a couple of the slower songs including A Question of Lust, and, I've just learnt, is the lead vocal on Somebody as well. I was hoping to hear that (well, Valentine's had just passed, and they did sing it at the Royal Albert Hall performance on Wednesday), along with Just Can't Get Enough but they didn't play those. Not surprising, really, given that the band has a huge repertoire of great songs!

And, with that, I've finally seen all five of my top five bands. I need a new list now! In the meantime, I'm booked to see The Antlers, Phoenix, LCD Soundsystem, F*** Buttons and She & Him over the next two months, and have seen Spoon, Slow Club, Thao Nguyen with the Get Down Stay Down Band, Jamie Lidell, Fyfe Dangerfield, Swell Season and, of course, the legendary Depeche Mode since the beginning of this year. 2010 is shaping up to be an incredible year musically!

Setlist
In Chains
Wrong
Hole To Feed
Walking In My Shoes
It's No Good
A Question Of Time
Precious
World In My Eyes
Freelove (sung by Martin)
Home
Miles Away / The Truth Is
Policy Of Truth
In Your Room
I Feel You
Enjoy The Silence
Never Let Me Down Again

Encore #1
A Question Of Lust
Stripped
Behind The Wheel
Personal Jesus

No comments: