Wednesday, February 16, 2011

If cleanliness is next to Godliness, I'm f***ed

Right, Operation How-the-hell-am-I-ever-going-to-declutter is off to a good start. First, there was the epic hauling of several bags of books and clothes to the charity shop a few tube stops away. Then there was the epic hauling of several bags of not-so-good clothes to the recycling bin over a mile away on foot.

Then came the arranging of a charity shop pick-up for unwanted furniture. And then came the most painful step - the consigning of clothing to a dress agency for them to sell on my behalf. It stood to reason that this would be the best step for me, given that I'd be making some money from this particular part of the process. But the reason I'm not throwing those clothes away is a) because they were expensive and b) I really do like them even if I don't have the occasion or even the guts to wear them anymore.

But, yes, I am in mourning because, among the dresses I consigned was my beloved denim Issa Lucky dress. The most widely-worn dress, having been worn in London, Singapore, New York and Jakarta. I haven't worn it in quite some time, but, still, I loved it, It held a lot of sentimental value for me. I've worn it on several dates (including a couple with the ex-boyfriend), and I am now mourning the fact that I am selling it.

I am also a little in mourning that I have decided to sell off a silver Tory Burch '50s dress, a silk Tibi dress and a glamorous Frank Usher vintage dress which I picked up for a song on eBay three years ago but haven't worn at all since.

Do I have a bit of a habit? Quite possibly. I love shopping, and this intensified when I started watching Gossip Girl (which coincided with my move to London which may have exacerbated said habit).

In my defense, I don't like spending other people's money, so I still think this qualifies me as being low-ish maintenance.

Anyway, in spite of all of that, it feels as if I have a mountain to climb when it comes to clearing up all my clutter. I can't wait till May when I'll finally have a proper wardrobe and some bookshelves!

No comments: