Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Job-hunting and Dating

One seems to be mirroring the other more and more everyday. I don't mean that I'm dating within my work circle or anything like that. Just that the guy with whom I had a third date three weeks ago and who seemed so enthusiastic about me never called. And the company which seemed so friendly and welcoming and so excited about having me join them... they too haven't called since I sent back comments on the contract they offered me. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I flagged up as a deal breaker is the simplest thing in the world to rectify. But it's been close to a week, and still no response, despite my follow-up yesterday telling them I had other opportunities I needed to respond on.

Now, on the dating front, while I'm mildly annoyed, I'm not about to call him, as I'm the one who's arranged the first three dates. If he was really interested in me, he'd have called by now. I'm taking a leaf out of He's Just Not That Into You and not assuming he's lost my number or whatever. It's happened with another guy before - that he did lose my number - but, honestly, I'm not fussed and I have more respect for myself than that.

On the job front, however, I am annoyed and worried. I do want this offer, and am willing to entertain the cut in salary, benefits and a lowering in the quality of my life to do this. The fact that they've been a little disorganised and slow in getting back to me... Yes, I get it's a small company and they don't necessarily have the admin staff available to take care of such things, but, still, this is a job offer, and I would have thought they would be more responsive, even if only to say that we're still in a holding pattern for now, and we'll get back to you by the end of this week.

And, now, even if they do get back to me, I'm going to have to think this through carefully. Do I really want to join a company that would do this?

I really do hope that, by this time next week, all of this would have blown over and I can happily state that I'm on my way to fulfilling a long-held goal of mine. However, I am a massive realist, and I'm really no longer sure that's going to be the case.

See? Dating and job-hunting. Same process, same results, just different settings.

No comments: