Sunday, July 03, 2011

Catching Up (A Milo Dinosaur for the Soul)

I have spent the last couple of days catching up with friends from virtually all of the meaningful stages of my life: secondary school, high school, university and my most recent place of employ, and it has been incredible. This just may have been the best return to Singapore I have had since I moved to London in 2007.

I can't articulate it, but just being able to reminise and share stories about what I've been doing recently and just faling back into familiar friendship patterns of suaning and kena suan and talking more plainly about things that have been worrying me is just so good. It really is chicken soup for the soul, or, to be more Singaporean, a Milo dinosaur for the soul.

On a related note, I got to spend quality time with the bridal couple today, as well as with other friends who will be helping out with the wedding, and it was really nice. This is the most fuss-free wedding I've attended and even though I am freaking out out over the music and the speech, I'm trying to look on the bright side and just take comfort in the fact that my friends are placing so much trust in me by giving me many opportunties to ruin their wedding.

What's also comforting is the fact that I was just riffing and the bride put her head in her hands and said, "I may have made a strategic error in asking you to make a speech."

I did speak to the groom and tell him that I keep thinking I should doing more for them. When he asked, "why?", I replied, "It's not everyday that I'll have two such good friends getting married to each other."

And that's the plain truth.

I love them both dearly, and have known them both for pretty much half my life or more. So it's fair to say that this sort of thing doesn't happen very often. And I really want to do something special for them both.

So here goes. I hope I don't mess up and that I get a few laughs and a few tears. Anything more would be a bonus!

No comments: