Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Prelude to the adventure

Written on June 7th during the flight from London

So, here I am, once again on my way to Buenos Aires. The last time was a life-changing experience. This time around, I think it would be asking way too much of the universe to expect the same thing to happen.

Still, so much has been surprising just this year alone, so, who knows?

As with any of my flights, I love watching How I Met Your Mother. It's just such a great show. I love the crazy stories they manage to weave in, how the different members of the group interact, the fact that it's NEW YORK, and, maybe, just maybe, the fact that we know everything works out, even though we don't know how or with whom.

One of the episodes on my flight to Washington, D.C. was Drumroll, please. The story, about the perfect night between Victoria and Ted which was achieved by them not doing the things which tarnish memories, including not kissing (because the best moment of a first kiss is the time leading up to it), just dancing for the hell of it, and promising not to contact each other after that night.

Of course, that's a recipe for utter disaster, isn't it?

When you have a perfect moment with someone, you simply have to see whether it's just the moment, or if it could be a lifetime of perfection.

The scene when he goes to see her after finally managing to find out who she was done really well. He goes in, the bell rings, she turns around, sees him, goes, "Oh, thank God," and they finally kiss.

And the kiss?

It's full of passion, the kind that's been building up forever and has finally found an outlet.

In short, the perfect first kiss.

At this point, two things have occurred to me. 

One's that, yes, I am still a hopeless romantic, I still think fairy tales can happen, but, at the same time, I don't believe they can happen for me. I don't believe in all obstacles being surmountable as long as you love each other. I don't think there is no such thing as a deal breaker, and, fine, I acknowledge that S. has a point when she says I don't need to settle, even when I don't think I'm settling, simply by giving someone a chance, or refusing to acknowledge the elephant in the room (a situation I am now finding myself in).

The other's that I could be trying to recreate a moment of perfection myself, in going to D.C. And I don't know if that's wise. What if there's nothing there between us? Before Sunset is just a movie after all.

And some memories, some moments... They're better off not being messed with, something I've learnt over the past few months.

So. Yes. An adventure, he called it, in that most unexpected invitation to me last year. 

We shall see.

No comments: